Thursday, June 24, 2010

Book Review



I just read this really interesting book based on a true story about what a psychiatrist did or faced when he had a client who is suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder(MPD) which is now labelled as Dissociative Identity Disorder(DID).

His patient/client, has 17 personality within her which took over her body to help her to endure the constant abuse that she faced since she was young.
She has symptoms of dissociative fugue, dissociative amnesia, and somatoform disorder which includes conversion disorder and there were no physical disorder that causes the pain(pain such as experiences extreme headaches, nausea, pregnancy hysteria, paralysis)
When she first visited the psychiatrist..
Her multiple personality disorder wasn't that obvious just yet..
The psychiatrist namely, Dr Baer put her under medication,
Gave her some pills(I guess it's the prozac that he gave her)..
Asked her to come back a few months later..
But the pills made her even more depressed...
However, at times, she'll attend her appointment as if she has no trace of depression disorders in her..

She was under therapy under Dr Baer for a total of 18 years..
He performed hypnosis to know more about her other personalities within her..

My thoughts..

Above is the summary of the story..
As for my views based on the story..
I must say..
He's the first book based on multiple personality that I've read..
And also the first book that I've read written by a psychiatrist,
I've read books written by psychologists..
But there's a different touch in books like that..
For one, I get to know how is the life of a psychiatrist,
Though I've spoken to one before when I was on my vacation in Melbourne,
Since he's my aunt's neighbour..
Their life are very normal(as in their social life and life after work)..
But what I really wanted to know is..
How is it like being a psychiatrist and meeting with clients like the Karen(she's the one with MPD in the novel)
It's rather stressful, working with patients..
Not forgetting is their life is placed in your hands..
Of course patients seek for help must also be willing to help themselves..
Since a psychologist or a psychiatrist is there to guide them through their healing process and to help them to ease the pain, besides giving them all the motivation they need.

Being able to dig for books like that...
Gives me a utter feeling of satisfaction..
=)

That book..
I give it a..
4 and a half stars rating out of five stars..

Read..
Two books by Cecelia Ahern..
The Gift, borrowed from Carmen,
And The Book of Tomorrow which is mine..
Both books are..
Not what I'll call it as a good read books..
It's an easily forgettable book..
The story plot are..
Predictable..
Sappily boring in some way..
Or maybe its just me..
Being sick of stories like those..
Even A Walk to Remember story line by Nicholas Sparks..
Doesn't leave any impact..
Since I've read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult and I personally think..
The book left more impact in me compared to A Walk to Remember..
Watched the movie yesterday..
And it wasn't a movie that I'll watch again or book that I'll read again.

Ratings for those two books by Cecelia Ahern..
I'll give it a two and a half..
Though it's properly written..
Story line wise..
Not my cup of tea.

“The wonderful thing about books is that they allow us to enter imaginatively into someone else’s life. And when we do that, we learn to sympathize with other people. But the real surprise is that we also learn truths about ourselves, about our own lives, that somehow we hadn’t been able to see before.”
— Katherine Paterson

Indeed, I have my finals in a week time..
But that's not gonna stop me from reading..
It's stupid to stop reading for leisure just because I have exams..
=p

Decided to go back to journal writing..
Though I'd sworn not to write anymore journals..
But somehow, I have this urge to write again....
I still am figuring out how to dispose my old journals though..
Any suggestion??
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment