Monday, December 21, 2009

Plastic Smile

Wanted to post this here yesterday...
I mean my review on what I've came across with when I read the papers yesterday,
But it slipped off my mind after a loooong and rather depressing day.
Thanks to Azim,
It all came back to me..
So here's his feedback based on the article, "Plastic Smile":

"I read the article when I was chilling out in my room, with my coffee. Thanks Mom. Anywho, the article- “Plastic Smile?” featured on the Star yesterday was for me, personally, a little bit too much. I mean, what’s the big deal about Malaysia being listed as the top 5 in HSBC blah blah shit? Well, perhaps it is a big deal, since for some, Malaysia is not friendly enough and is considered as one of the “coldest (emotionally) country” they have ever been to.

Generalizing is a big NO NO. Rude people are everywhere in the world, even in Canada. The same goes to nice people. To blindly accuse Malaysians as a whole as rude and unfriendly is on itself- rude.

This is how life and Earth work, my dear friend. Sometimes you meet nice people, sometimes you meet jerks. Life is unfair, deal with it.
Oh. The statement that Malaysians are just nice to some is nothing but the goddamn truth . And pardon me, not just Malaysians, EVERYONE is like that. We are living in a world where we are segregated since the day we were born. You are Chinese, I am a Malay, you’re black, I am white. As much as we want to deny this fundamental aspect of society, we can’t deny the fact that a sense of prejudice is there- in our hearts.

So, don’t blame me if, involuntarily, I display my prejudice to a Bangladeshi in a form of behaviour. Culture separates us. For a Bangladeshi, it might be okay to talk loudly in an lrt, but for me, that’s rude. So, what do you want me to do? Put on s smile when they are piercing my ear? I can’t even put a plastic smile, like what the hell.

I just can’t help it. A sense of prejudice is already developed in me, in all of us.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate Bangladesh. I have a Bangladeshi friend and he’s a cool guy. And he’s nice to everyone, as far as I concern. My point is, this is completely NATURAL. What is the point of discussing a tenet value of society in a newspaper? So that you can make a difference in the world? I guess you have to defy gravity first in order to do that. We are living in a world. A real world. What you wish for is far too prefect. And Jesus knows that perfection is the biggest imperfection. This is not heaven.

I’m being realistic. Being normal. This is the truth. And you know it yourself.

My views?

Personally..
I do agree with some of the things Azim mentioned above..
We ARE already segregated once we were brought into this world..
Most of us live with the life which are full of expectations..
Some live to reach perfection..
Forget about imperfection,
Some thinks if they can't be perfect,
They might as well try to be close to perfect.
Now you might as well think I am nuts for coming out with stuff like that,
But read on anyway..
However, if you are bored with this rants,
You may kindly leave this site^^

Back to living a life of expectations,
Or shall I say a life under the microscope..
Where you have people around you..
Who pinned so much expectations or rather should I say..
"Kept a watchful eye on you" as you walk on this "stage",
So what do segregation gotta do with that anyway?
Take for instance..
Your parents or perhaps anyone you know around you..
That perhaps has this things against certain classes of people..
Of certain people who is just different compare to them..
Prejudice leads to segregation..
Segregation leads to a world which is divided..
And to make things simple..
Prejudice + segregation = reality.

If its not for prejudice of segregation among people..
We wouldn't have racism living up its legacy among the society,
Being an international threat to tear the world apart..
Racism also occur among gender, interest and anything related to a human characteristics..
The fear of not condoning to certain expectations of certain people..
Usually the people who meant so much to you..
At times..
Might snatched away certain parts of you..
That is if you allow that to happen..
Marianne Williamson said once, "Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we learned here."




I've asked myself..
Why am I here,
When I certainly didn't request to be here.
Since I am here already..
Why not make use of it?
And for that I've made up my mind..
To do something worthy..
With what I have with me now,
Though I do not know what can I expect from my decision,
But I guess its best for me to expect the unexpected no?

Finally registered for my next intake in uni.
Spoke to my soon to be lecturers..
And my seniors too..
They seemed nice,
But I realize that I'll miss my lecturers and the people I've met..
From my pre-u after this..


PS : I get it if some most of you might gave me that eye brow raise kinda look if you asked me what do I plan to pursue after this. I got that already and my mom asked me tonnes of time, if I really am serious about pursuing a course like that. I got looks from the people around me when I told them what do I plan to do as if I suddenly thought of ditching studies for something insane like marrying with some good for nothing jerks on streets. Which obviously, will be the first thing in my list of forbidden deeds.


Nope, I am not ditching studies aside(obviously). I am just about to face relatives, friends and more friends who are not supportive of my decision and tried to talk me outta it. Again, prejudice will be taken into account for them to make a huge fuss about it. I am mentally ready for that, knowing that I've managed to persuade my parents to actually give me the blessing to pursue the course of my choice. Thank goodness my parents wasn't that narrow minded^^

No comments:

Post a Comment